Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Explanation

A few people have asked me why the camera is pointed at me and does not show the person I am talking to. I made this decision for the following reasons.

1.I am interested in what the listening part of a conversation looks like. Most of the time we only see those who are talking. In these conversations I tried to do a lot of listening so that I could see what it looked like. I also like to see myself because I do not get to do this very often. All art is about the maker. This is something that those who make must admit if they wish to maintain integrity.

2. I film with my Macbook which shows the subject on the screen as he/she is filmed. This most often makes the subject uncomfortable (a strategy I did not wish to use in this project). I often use the strategies of destabilization and discomfort but this was not the time.

3. The desire that is created by not being able to see "the whole picture" also interests me. Photography and video/film take everything out of context. The world is not rectangular. I am more interested in what is not represented than what is represented. What am I not seeing? What has been left out intentionally or by accident? How does this change what has been depicted?

No comments: